· Pencils, pens, erasers, crayons, coloring pencils, and book bags – these are the things of which the first day of school is made.
· Being prepared that is another thing of which the first day of school is made.
· Math books, English books, spelling books, and reading books more of which signals the first day of school.
· Meeting old and new friends figuring out our class schedules makes for a very busy first day of school.
Welcome back to another school year.
Here at Grace our first day of school is even more than what I have listed above –
Our first day involved:
· Chapel lead by Pastor Gomez – Our first of many worship experiences together, where we learn and remember the LOVE our Savior Jesus has for us.
· Classroom time – learning the classroom rules, which center around the 2 Great Commandments:
1. Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind (Matthew 22:37)
2. Love your neighbor as yourself (Matthew 22:39)
· Lunchtime – Joining together in lunch fellowship by beginning in prayer.
The first day also means a new start. For the children this means a new grade.
For those of us, Christians, this new start holds a special meaning.
· We are given a new start every day.
· We are given a new start every hour
· We are given a new start every second.
This happens as we ask our LORD for His forgiveness. Each and every time, we are made new in Him!
For we are new creations in Christ! 2 Corinthians 5:17 “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old is gone, the new is Here!
This school year we look to showing the love we have for others that Jesus first gave to us and watching children become the New Creation in the LORD.
Vicki Helmling is a teacher at Grace English Lutheran School